INTRAUTERINE INSEMINATION (IUI TREATMENT)
What is IUI Treatment ?
Intrauterine Insemination, or more popularly known as IUI, is a medical procedure that helps in increasing the rate of fertility. This procedure enhances the chance of the sperms to travel up the female fallopian tube and fertilize the egg residing there.
In Intrauterine Insemination procedure, the sperm is manually placed within the uterus of the woman so as to increase the chances of fertilisation. This sperm has to fertilise on its own and this is where Intrauterine Insemination helps. It will give the sperm necessary push to its momentum, which will further make it easy for the sperm to fertilise the egg.
This IUI Treatment, (commonly called artificial insemination) is adopted to increase the chances of a woman getting pregnant by a hassle-free and quick medical treatment. Whereby, the woman is priorly treated with ovulation induction medication for a certain time.
The Actual Procedure
The doctor will have started with ovulation induction medications for the female patient to make sure that the patient’s eggs are matured at the correct time.
Now, the insemination procedure is started where the sperm sample is inserted directly into the uterus through a catheter. This ensures that maximum number of sperms enter in the uterus and reaches the eggs. Needless to say, the entire process takes very less time and is painless for the patient.
When is Intrauterine Insemination done?
Artificial insemination is usually recommended for the following cases:
- A couple who could not get pregnant naturally due to a deficiency in the sperm count of the male partner.
- A couple who could not get pregnant naturally due to the problem of decreased sperm mobility.
- In cases where the cervical mucus has a medical issue that gets problematic and turns hostile for the sperms.
- In cases where the male patient’s penis has a problem in ejaculating sperms naturally.
- If a certain situation arises from any sudden or unexplained infertility in between the partners.
- In certain cases, a previous surgery performed on the female patient might have caused the formation of a certain tissue in the uterus that doesn’t allow sperms to enter freely and also becomes an obstruction for free sperm mobility.
The success of IUI Treatment usually depends on the couple’s medical history and the age of the female patient to a great extent. The doctors conduct several tests before starting the treatment. The success rate for a single IUI cycle performed naturally is usually 4 to 5 percent.
But with the use of fertility drugs, the success rate increases to about 7 to 16 percent. Nowadays, many couples are adopting Intrauterine Insemination procedure, as it is less expensive, less invasive, and less painful.
Patients with a history of infections in the pelvic region
Patients suffering from diseases related to Fallopian Tube
Patients with a history of endometriosis