What is ERA Test ?
Endometrial Receptivity Array or ERA is a test to check the endometrial receptivity. This is a genetic test that determines whether the endometrial lining is developed enough to receive the embryo. To analyze the endometrial receptivity, this new technology scans the expression of the 238 genes that are related to endometrial receptivity. This test assesses the optimal time to place an embryo that would help in a successful implantation and pregnancy.
There are many reasons as to why an IVF might fail. It is extremely disheartening for couples when their IVF embryo transfer fails and endometrial receptivity could be one of the main reasons for this failure. The endometrial lining is a soft tissue in the uterus along which the cell is planted and the condition of the endometrium lining is crucial to a successful pregnancy.
When is this test done ?
Some of the instances when the ERA test is done are:
- Women with recurrent unsuccessful embryo transfers are advised to undergo an ERA examination.
- Women who might have had two or more failed embryo transfers and also fall in the age group of 37 years or older are recommended an ERA test.
- The ERA test has shown to improve pregnancy rates as the embryo transfer can be timed as per the window of time when chances of implantation are high.
- The time of embryo transfer is personalized for each patient to ensure a successful implantation.
How are the samples for ERA test taken ?
- To perform an ERA test, the first requirement is to take an endometrial biopsy from the patient in either their natural cycle or from the cycles of hormone replacement therapies that are related to the phase of receptivity of the endometrium.
- In case of natural cycles on the 21st day, that is seven days after the LH hormone surge or six days after follicle rupture or progesterone impregnation after five whole days in hormone replacement therapy cycles.
- After the biopsy is taken, it is put in an ERA cryo-tube, which contains a fluid that helps in the preservation of the tissues.
Benefits of ERA
- The Endometrial Receptivity Analysis has proved to be the most beneficial and accurate in determining the implantation window compared to other methods.
- The ERA test has increased chances of pregnancies as with the test, the doctors can determine the receptivity of the uterus lining and implant the embryo when chances of implantation are most likely. The precision of time saves failures and ensures successful pregnancy.
- The ERA test has saved a lot of time of couples opting for IVF. A lot of time gets wasted when a cycle of IVF fails and starting a fresh cycle. Now with this process, the time lag of month is eliminated. Couples can be free from the constant hope of a successful pregnancy and having a baby. After this test, success is ensured in the very next cycle.
- The IVF treatment is very costly and several cycles in anticipation of a pregnancy cost a lot. The test saves money by preventing further cycles and increasing probability of pregnancy.
- Above all, the process of IVF is not only physically painful but also mentally taxing. Numerous cycles take a toll on the overall health of the patient and this test gets rid of such problems, as the doctors would now know the right time to plant the embryo.
Aikya Fertility & Research Centre
#166, First Floor,
9th Cross, near Indira Gandhi Circle,
1st Phase, J. P. Nagar,
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560078, India
Phone:+91096069 09299 /
Authored By Dr. Sunil Eshwar
Medical disclaimer: For information purposes only