Childbirth is definitely the most pleasant and blissful moment of life. But some of us face issues in getting pregnant which can be very depressing. It could steal away the essence and happiness of life. Times have changed and we live in the 21st century. There are rays of hope everywhere and infertility is no more a source of dismay for an entire lifetime. Medical Science has evolved and developed in such a way that there is not one but numerous solutions for a medical problem. Same is the case with infertility as well. Are you trying to conceive your own little one? Why not try one of the most successful infertility treatments, In vitro fertilization (IVF)?
Here’s a brief detail about IVF for you to decide.
IVF is a process which is carried out in 4 primary steps being:Ovulation Induction:
Your IVF specialist will closely monitor the ovaries and the time in which the eggs are released. In IVF treatment the target is to get at least 10 to 12 oocytes (eggs). Generally in one cycle women produces only one or two oocyte, so to increase the number of the egg doctor start what is called ovulation induction starting from day 2 or 3 of the cycle. Generally injections are used. During this process of ovulation induction the women is monitored to check for the response both by scan and blood to adjust the dose of the injection. Retrieving the eggs: During the second process, after giving the anesthesia medication, a thin needle will be passed into the upper vaginal wall in order to remove the fluid under the follicles. Vaginal ultrasound is also used in the process. Then, the oocyte or the egg is separated from the follicular fluid. The eggs are then analyzed for the number, maturity and the quality. Fertilization of the egg: After securing a sperm sample, the most active sperm is put together with the egg in a chamber. At times, the sperm is injected into the egg which is known as ICSI. Later, both the sperm and eggs are kept in an incubator until a healthy embryo is formed.
Transferring of the embryo:
The final step involves embryo transfer. The healthiest embryo is selected for transfer. The process involves placing a speculum into your vagina and transferring the embryo with the help of a small plastic tube placed through the cervix into the uterine cavity. After the process patient is advised to undertake restricted activity and are also put on medications to support the embryo development.
Haven’t you wondered as to why IVF has become one of the most popular treatments? Here’s why.
- High success rates. Success rates depend on the age of the women so earlier the better.
- IVF is a lifesaver and provides the chance for women with blocked or damaged fallopian tubes to have a child using their own eggs.
- Older women with lower ovarian reserve can depend on IVF as the method maximizes the chance of getting pregnant.
- If you’re a couple facing male infertility issues can definitely rely on IVF. A series of laboratory procedures like the intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) facilitate the treatment.
- In the IVF treatment, you can use donor eggs and sperms.
- The chances of a miscarriage are less. The genetic viability of an embryo is determined in the earlier stages of the treatment which leads to a greater opportunity for enjoying a healthy pregnancy.